Mechanical Fitter - Turbine Repair
Job Title: Mechanical Fitter – Gas Turbine Repair
Location: Newton Abbots, South Devon
Due to company growth we are currently seeking a Mechanical Fitter to work within the Turbine Repair team to carry out all mechanical aspects of servicing, maintenance, repair and overhaul works necessary to maintain a customer fleet of Industrial Gas Turbines, equipment IAW predetermined specifications and drawings to meet customer’s requirements.
- Strip down and rebuild of gas turbine engines IAW Company processes and procedures.
- Carry out thorough cleaning of engine, associated components and detail parts using chemical / ultrasonic / manual methods and carry out subsequent inspections and dimensional assessments utilising videoscopes, microscopes, micrometers, DTI’s, CMM’s, height gauges, and other precision equipment.
- Inspection of turbine and compressor blades and carry out any necessary rectification including dressing, grit blast and glass peen as required.
- Assess components for serviceability including but not limited to requirements for refurbishing, coating and NDT.
- Balance components and assemblies to determine multiplane corrections if required using a variety of methods, equipment and programming of machinery.
- Build of products by following documented procedures (involving pressure testing of components, use of liquid nitrogen and induction heating for high tolerance fitting, degaussing of components, continuity and resistance testing) and recording required details to provide detailed comprehensive build and dimensional records.
- Assist with Investigative analysis for turbines which have failed in the field or during test. Carry out photographic records and produce reports for any customer or insurance company.
- Install turbines in test and carry out pre-test checks prior to handover to test cell staff and carry out the required repairs in situ if required.
- Assist in receipt and dispatch of engine assemblies ensuring correctly installed in dedicated shipping pods and containers.
- Carry out installation and repairs on any special projects or equipment / tooling (bespoke design) / machinery, including full diagnostic investigation, selection of parts, repair and final checks as directed by the area supervisor.
- Assist area supervisor with review of technical documentation, (including procedure writing), in relation to their accuracy and compliance with both Centrax and national standards
- Assist with training of customer support engineers, new fitters and Centrax apprentices, on the strip, investigation and assembly of turbines.
- Be competent (after training) to use a variety of mechanical lifting techniques and equipment (Overhead gantries, hoists, lifting attachments, slings and shackles).
- Flexibility to work in other mechanical disciplined areas of the business as required.
- Work on customer sites and installations both in the UK and abroad.
- Carry out duties compatible with this job and the employee's individual skills as required by management.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship or 5 years related experience.
- BTEC National Certificate or City & Guilds – Mechanical. Level 3 Minimum.
- Experience / knowledge of industrial or aero-derivative gas turbine engines.
- NDT Techniques.
- Any LOLER qualification (or equivalent).
- IOSH Working Safely (or equivalent).
- Any Team Leader or Management Qualification.
- Experience of general mechanical fitting in a comparable industry eg, aerospace, marine, automotive or heavy plant.
- Working knowledge of power generation systems.
Industrial experience preferred.
- Competent in use of hand and power tools including power/air/impact drills etc.
- Competent in the use of inspection / measuring equipment and techniques.
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Working knowledge of IT / MS Office.
- Desire to develop professionally.
- Good level of literacy, numeracy and attention to detail.
- Able to follow Company policies, procedures and processes.
If you are interested in applying for this role or would like more information please contact Teresa Anderson on (phone number removed) (Direct Line) or your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Contracts are those of an Employment Business
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.