Community Health Intern (SUMMER 2023)
Go where ever we are needed and do whatever comes to mind.
- Ballington & Maud Booth, Founders
Volunteers of America(VOA) is a faith-based, nationwide nonprofit organization dedicated to helping those in need rebuild their lives and reach their full potential. The VOA network includes more than 16,000 full-time professionals empowering 1.5 million people annually through our 30 affiliates in 46 states. We provide hundreds of service programs, including those for seniors and people with disabilities, those experiencing homelessness, and those recovering from addiction. VOA is one of the nations most comprehensive human services charities, offering programs for communities, individuals, and families.
VOA is seeking anIntern to support our Strategy and Innovation department. The selected candidate for this position will be a dynamic, self-starter in our to work on Community Health initiatives and build training and marketing materials. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of public health in action while working for a prestigious faith-based nonprofit organization, which serves 1.5 million individuals per year.
The person in this role will be an integral part of the Strategy and Innovation department as well as the intern 2023 cohort team. During the internship, there will be the opportunity to gain experience on many aspects of designing and implementing interventions to address health inequities in the communities VOA serves. All applicants must be flexible, self-directed, possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit, have excellent writing and communication skills, good time management, stay on task and willing to learn new areas.
This position is full-time (up to 40 hours per week) and offers the opportunity for Remote, Hybrid and On-Site schedules. The internship is unpaid, however, a stipend is provided.
- Work collaboratively on marketing materials for active and future innovative community health initiatives
- Assist with designing an ongoing continuing education program for Community Health Workers
- Develop promotional materials for CHWs to utilize in their work
- Partner with CHWs and National office staff to gain input and develop marketing materials utilized to reach various populations
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Passion for community health and addressing health inequities
- Commitment to inclusive and collaborative team culture
- Strong written, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, stay organized and meet deadlines
- Lifting: Requires lifting materials up to 10 lbs.
- Ability to stand or sit at a computer for prolonged periods
- The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- This position will take place primarily in an office setting
- Interacts with staff, consultants, outside partners and vendors
Education and Experience:
- Students working towards a degree in Public Health, Social Work, Business or Marketing, preferred
- Knowledge and skills in Marketing, Communications, Training and knowledge of Design Software
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Employment with VOA is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, education and credentials, a criminal background check and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check if applicable.Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Senior Vice President of Human Resources.