Innovation & Impact Investing Intern (SUMMER 2023)
Go where ever we are needed and do whatever comes to mind.
- Ballington & Maud Booth, Founders
Volunteers of America(VOA) is a faith-based, nationwide nonprofit organization dedicated to helping those in need rebuild their lives and reach their full potential. The VOA network includes more than 16,000 full-time professionals empowering 1.5 million people annually through our 30 affiliates in 46 states. We provide hundreds of service programs, including those for seniors and people with disabilities, those experiencing homelessness, and those recovering from addiction. VOA is one of the nations most comprehensive human services charities, offering programs for communities, individuals, and families.
The National Office of VOA is focused on Innovation and Impact Investing as a means of improving community impact and positioning in the space of non-profit housing, health and human services. An initiative, in particular that is helping to achieve these goals is investing in VOA Affiliates and mission-aligned external companies via VOAs Impact Investing subsidiary, Futures Fund.
VOA is seeking an Intern to support our Innovation & Impact Investing teams. The selected candidate should have a keen interest in the area of Impact Investing and Non-Profit Innovation andwill divide their time between these two bodies of work, reporting either to the VOA|ReST Program Director or Vice-President, Innovation & Impact Investing, depending on the project. Activities will mostly relate to supporting business development of the VOA|ReST 4 First Responders initiative and cultivating the Futures Fund network of strategic partners, investees and investors.
The selected candidate will have a keen interest in the area of impact investing and non-profit innovation. Strong communication and data analysis skills are required.
This position is full-time (up to 40 hours per week) and offers the opportunity for Remote and Hybrid work schedules. The internship is unpaid, however, a stipend is provided.
- Organizing the research focus groups, surveys and other feedback loops to collect data on the efficacy of the VOA|ReST 4 First Responders initiative
- Synthesizing the data of the VOA|ReST 4 First Responders initiative to create a compelling impact report, including lessons learned and opportunities for growth
- Assisting with compilation of data and client stories to communicate impact of the Futures Fund
- Researching viable Futures Fund partners and investors, and conduct outreach to those prospects for staff presentations and invitations to collaborate
- Tapping into your knowledge and experience by providing additional program support as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Interest in impact investing, startups or community health
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Lifting: Requires lifting materials up to 10 lbs.
- Ability to stand or sit at a computer for prolonged periods
- The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- This position will take place primarily in an office setting
- Interacts with staff, consultants, outside partners and vendors
Education and Experience:
- Applicants seeking a degree in Community Health, Public Health, Finance, Economics or related field, preferred
- Experience with data analysis and critical thinking
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Employment with VOA is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, education and credentials, a criminal background check and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check if applicable.Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Senior Vice President of Human Resources.