Internal Firm Tax Senior Accountant
As a Firm Tax Preparation Professional specializing in Partner and Company taxes, your primary responsibility is to ensure accurate and compliant tax preparation and planning for both the partners of the firm and the firm itself. You will work closely with the partners and internal tax teams to provide comprehensive tax services while minimizing the firm's and partners' tax liabilities. Your expertise in tax law, regulations, and financial analysis will play a crucial role in optimizing tax strategies and supporting the financial success of the firm and its individual partners.
Leadership and Team Management:
- Prepare federal and multi-state tax returns
- Train and develop Staff Accountants and GSS professionals on federal and multi-state returns
- Develop and deliver SALT and other instructional presentations to partners, GSS staff, and colleagues
- Foster a collaborative and high-performance work environment within the tax department
- Prepare and/or review complex federal and multi-state pass-through entity returns for the Firm, which includes multiple tax returns for approximately 40 states for each of the Firms entities
- Prepare and/or review complex federal and multi-state individual income returns for firm partners, which may include multiple K-1s, investments, conservation easements, rental properties, tax credits, and capital gain transactions
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation and submission of tax estimates, extensions, projections, and final filings of returns
- Monitor and respond to tax notices and inquiries from federal and state tax authorities
Tax Planning and Analysis:
- Research complex and constantly changing tax issues using online tools
- Analyze the impact of tax law changes on the organization
- Research highly technical issues for state returns in all 50 states, including nexus, apportionment, state modifications, taxable income components, and the different types of taxes (i.e. franchise, income, withholding, composite, PTE)
- Create analytical reports using complex spreadsheets as assigned by managers and partners
- Navigate new tax state tax forms and determine correct preparation
- Perform other accounting duties as needed in engagement
Partner and Company Communication:
- Communicate effectively with managers, partners, state agencies, and GSS staff
- Prepare and/or assist with responses to federal and state tax notices
- Address tax-related concerns and inquiries effectively for partners and the Firm
What you bring to the role:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. A Master's degree or relevant certifications (e.g., CPA) is preferred.
- Extensive experience in tax preparation, including individual, partnership, and state taxation
- Proven leadership in project management, and overseeing and training of less experienced staff
- Strong knowledge of tax laws, codes, and regulations
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency in tax software and financial analysis tools, which includes Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Access, CCH Axcess, CCH Engagement, TaxCaddy, SurePrep, Sage General Ledger, Sage Fixed Assets, GoFileRoom, and Adobe Sign
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- High level of integrity and confidentiality
What we offer you:
- Our shared values that foster inclusion and belonging including uncompromising integrity, collaboration, trust,and mutual respect.
- The opportunity to innovate and do work that motivates and engages you.
- A collaborative environment focused on enabling you to further your career growth and continuous professional development.
- Competitive compensation and a total rewards package that focuses on all aspects of your wellbeing.
- Flexibility to do impactful work and the time to enjoy your life outside of work.
- Opportunities to connect and learn from professionals from different backgrounds and with different cultures
About Cherry Bekaert
Cherry Bekaert, ranked among the largest assurance, tax and advisory firms in the U.S., serves clients across industries in all 50 U.S. states and internationally. Cherry Bekaert is the brand name under which Cherry Bekaert LLP and Cherry Bekaert Advisory LLC, independently owned entities, provide professional services in an alternative practice structure in accordance with applicable professional standards. Cherry Bekaert LLP is a licensed CPA firm that provides attest services, and Cherry Bekaert Advisory LLC and its subsidiary entities provide business advisory and non-attest services spanning the areas of transaction advisory, risk and accounting advisory, digital solutions, cybersecurity, tax, benefits consulting, and wealth management. For more details, visit cbh.com/disclosure.
Cherry Bekaert cares about our people. We offer competitive compensation packages based on performance that recognize the value our people bring to our clients and our Firm. The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $85,000. Individual salaries within this range are determined by a variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge, skills, and geographic location. In addition, we offer a comprehensive, high-quality benefits program which includes annual bonus, medical, dental, and vision care; disability and life insurance; generous Paid Time Off; retirement plans; Paid Care Leave; and other programs that are dedicated to enhancing your personal and work life and providing you and your family with a measure of financial protection.
Cherry Bekaert provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
Candidates must demonstrate eligibility to work in the United States. Cherry Bekaert will not provide work sponsorship for this position.
Cherry Bekaert LLP and Cherry Bekaert Advisory LLC are members of Allinial Global, an accountancy and business advisory global association. Visit us at cbh.com/careers and follow us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
2023 Cherry Bekaert. All Rights Reserved.
No Agencies Please